Probably everyone already knows the board practice. Not so long ago, all the fitness instructors started talking about it, and plans and tables for implementing the daily "bar" appeared on the Internet and social networks. Let’s figure out how to do it right? How to create a schedule and what real results can be achieved with it.
Most people live by the misconception that if you make a board for a month, you can get in perfect shape. Let’s see what can really be achieved with this undoubtedly useful exercise. But let’s warn you right away - the article is purely exploratory. This is not a call to action. Only a professional can tell you how to lose weight properly and what methods to use to do so.
Plank for weight loss - best exercises for the whole body
The bar is an isometric exercise that applies a static force to the abdominal and body muscles. During exercise, the press, shoulder blades and lower back, forearm, thighs and buttocks are affected. They are offered in a variety of options for the complexity of execution, for both novice and professional athletes.
The plank works well as part of a complex, along with exercises for other problem areas. Before doing so, you must do a little warm-up and then stretch it.
What is a plank?
The plank is an exercise that strengthens the straight and oblique abdominal muscles. It has a number of different options that differ in the complexity of implementation and the area that works in the process.
This exercise is very popular in the fitness industry. Part of many complex, functional workouts. Its varieties can be found in yoga classes, Pilates.
Types of boards
- classic - on straight arms;
- classic - on the elbow;
- by twisting;
- with reclining supports;
- with outstretched arms or legs.
There are several implementation options. New ideas are constantly emerging to complicate the classic version. But for those who lose weight, something else is important - is it possible to get rid of excess weight in this way, whether such an exercise will help remove the stomach and sides.
Does it help you lose weight
Plank is a good strengthening exercise that works the abdominal muscles. Develops them effectively, helps strengthen them. But it’s not what’s important to lose weight, it’s the calorie deficit: you have to spend more than you eat.
To burn an impressive amount of calories, you need to keep the bar all day! Therefore, it is not worth hoping to burn the kilograms you have accumulated over the years.
But the bar can even become part of physical exercises combined with proper nutrition as well as complex group psychotherapy to correct eating habits.
Benefits of planks
Planking is a good functional practice that does not require special equipment, sportswear and a lot of space. Almost everyone can do it. It also has a number of other benefits:
- the minimum time required for completion;
- you don’t have to go to the gym, you can do it at home;
- can be done after a meal, you do not need to eat certain foods before and after training;
- has a small number of contraindications;
- improves general well-being, movement coordination.
Exercise is suitable for muscle strengthening, but you can not lose weight with it.
You should listen to your feelings during the exercise. If you experience discomfort somewhere, such as joint or muscle pain, you should stop immediately and wait until your physical condition has fully stabilized. If the pain persists, you may want to see a specialist, it may be a pinch.
In addition, the execution of the bar is prohibited in the following cases:
- spinal injuries, displacement of intervertebral discs, hernia;
- diseases of the cardiovascular system;
- postoperative period;
- during colds or flu with acute inflammatory diseases.
Girls should be especially careful during menstruation during menstruation. Abdominal tension can cause cramps, pain or increased bleeding. It is also not recommended to perform plank in pregnant women or women who have recently given birth.
As mentioned, plank is an exercise that helps strengthen the muscles of the body. Proper, regular exercise helps to tighten the torso, make it more noticeable. Efficiency and results are largely determined by the following factors:
- regularity: you must perform the rod at least three times a week;
- number of approaches: it is better to do a full workout that combines different types of straps;
- correct execution, strict adherence to technology;
- proper nutrition, healthy sleep, daily routine, correction of eating habits - without this the bar will not work.
If you make the board regularly for at least 30 days, you will notice the first results. The condition of the skin usually changes: it becomes smoother and more toned, which creates the general impression of weight loss.
How long to board
The optimal time is chosen individually. For an unprepared person, 10 seconds will be enough for an athlete to endure up to 10 minutes. What happens to the body over time:
- The first 20-30 seconds have a feeling of tension that increases with each second. At the same time, blood circulation in the work areas increases, oxygen is actively transported. For all this, the body spends about 5 calories. For starters, this will be enough.
- After a minute, a feeling of warmth, a slight tremor. The muscles seem to be "clogged", become dense, stone. Usually at this stage, people give up because they don’t want to endure any discomfort or pain at all.
- In three minutes, the "second wind" will open. The pain and discomfort subsides a bit, the body gets used to the load. At this stage, it’s better to stop and start again - so your workout will be more effective.
- It is not recommended to hold the rod for more than 10 minutes - it is full of destruction of muscle fibers.
Most fitness instructors think it is better to do a repeat of 30 seconds more than to defend for 3-4 minutes at a time. Thus, the organization does not have time to get used to the load, to adapt. Each new approach is a new test for him, which will become increasingly difficult to cope with.
Regularity of classes
Classes should be regular. It’s best to spend a few minutes on the bar at the end of your morning exercises, once your body has warmed up, ready to work out.
If you are unable to complete the number of approaches required by the program immediately, you can divide the lesson into two parts: one with exercises, the other 2-3 hours after dinner, shortly before bedtime. If an evening workout is provided, it is better to include a bar.
If there is no progress with regular classes, pay attention to the following points:
- load intensity: if the body is accustomed to regular movement, it can not only increase the time, but also try the harder version and thus control the process;
- bad technique. In the next paragraph of the article, we will examine the correct order, the typical mistakes of beginners.
The point is to understand it is not so much the quantity that matters, but the quality of the workout.
How to do it right
The implementation technique is as follows:
- the legs are shoulder-width apart;
- the elbows are strictly below the shoulder joints;
- the gaze is directed downwards on the fingers, the neck straight;
- the stomach is retracted, there is no deflection in the lower back;
- the legs, abdominal muscles and arms are tense.
The name of the exercise describes the technique: the trunk should be stretched in a straight line - the rod. There should be no folds anywhere.
The implementation technique seems simple at first glance. However, mistakes do occur, especially for beginners. The most common are:
- The pool is overhead. In this situation, the load is redistributed, passing through the muscles of the arms and forearms. However, there is an uncomfortable feeling in the shoulder joints.
- Deflection in the neck, lifting the head. When performing the rod, look down at the fingers. As you move your gaze forward, a deflection develops in the neck and the load on the cervical vertebrae increases. This is especially dangerous for people with osteochondrosis.
- Elbow set too wide. It is not easy to balance in this state. The load on the back muscles, shoulder joints and elbows increases. All of this can lead to injuries.
- Deflection in the lower back. The position of the body should be monitored during the exercise. It should be straight, like a plank, like a string. Otherwise, there may be pain in the lower back.
If the board is made incorrectly, you must not damage yourself. Therefore, you should not chase the increase in time, it is better to take ten seconds, but correctly.
For beginners, 4-5 minutes per workout per day is enough. This time is enough to get used to the load, to prepare for other, more difficult exercises.
Beginners can use the following program:
|The third||30-45 seconds|
If there is still strength after a lap, you can repeat for approx. 2-3 times. This workout can be done in the morning or in the evening.
The point is to create a habit, to make the exercises regular.
The program for men is somewhat more difficult than for beginners and women. This involves using multiple planks in one complex, with maximum study of the body’s muscles. Representatives of the stronger sex are usually able to maintain the desired position for a longer period of time due to the natural characteristics of the body, strong arms and back.
The program for men may include the following types of straps:
- by alternating lifting of arms and legs;
- with weights.
There is a separate version of the bar for each approach. The duration of an approach is 45-60 seconds. Men can complete about 3-5 laps in a workout.
So it is biologically described that the predominance of women accumulates primarily in the abdomen and hips. What makes the beautiful sex have so many complexes is a lack of self-confidence and beauty. To remedy the situation, they follow strict diets and torture the body with intense workouts.
But in fact, you can lose weight without serious dietary restrictions. It is worth changing your habits, the excess weight will go away on its own. But old, harmful occupations need to be replaced with new, healthy ones. Optional - regular training, including at the bar.
The program for women might look like this:
- approach one - the classic plank with straight arms or elbows;
- second approach - lateral (left);
- third approach - lateral (right);
- fourth approach - again on classic straight arms or elbows.
For best effect, you need to make about three such circles. The duration of each approach is 30-40 seconds.
Plank body shaping
The main advantage of regular boarding is that it strengthens the core. The body changes visually, becomes stronger and more toned.
In addition, if implemented correctly, it can have the following benefits:
- strengthening back muscles, which is especially important for people with a predominantly sedentary lifestyle (office workers, schoolchildren, students, pensioners);
- reduction of neck and spine pain - plank practice is often included in the complex of physiotherapy exercises prescribed by a doctor;
- increased stamina as it is not easy to stand on the board for long, the muscles are tense, tremors occur and you have to overcome yourself to defend yourself at the right time;
- improving blood circulation, active oxygen supply to cells;
- mood improvement - any physical exercise activates the production of hormones, including dopamine and serotonin.
Let’s take a closer look at some basic plank options.
Ideal for beginners - classic. We recommend that you first master it, allow it to remember the technique, and understand which muscles are involved in the work and how the body responds to it.
Beginners can do simplified options:
- spread your legs a little wider, but make sure the load doesn’t get over your shoulders and forearms;
- perform on straight arms and not on elbows;
- take fewer approaches in time, but increase their numbers.
Advanced athletes can try harder options:
- stand on your elbows;
- hold your foot together with your heel;
- increase the duration of one approach;
- use foot weights;
- do push-ups in the meantime.
It is important to choose a complex according to your own feelings. Then they will not be considered torture, it will be more convenient to do it every time.
The side plank is executed while standing on one arm. However, the lateral muscles of the abdomen and waist are mainly involved in the work. Hold both sides for at least 15 seconds.
During execution, you must ensure that the body is extended in a straight line. Do not sag in the pool area, severe discomfort in the shoulder joints. It is better for beginners to do it on straight arms, on advanced elbows.
You can complicate this by using weights for your legs and dumbbells for your arms. It will be very difficult to linger statically in this situation.
Boards with limb extensions
After mastering the classic version, you can move on to the intricacies. To do this, use the rod by removing the hand. People call him "Superman. "They take up the position of normal practice and then raise one arm directly in front of them or slightly to the side. The pose is fixed for at least 30 seconds.
You can further complicate the exercise by tearing off your left arm and right leg at the same time. Then vice versa. The exercise works well for the back, arms and abdominal muscles.
The most important thing, as with other options, is to follow the technique, remember that the whole body should be extended in one line.
30 days around the bar program
There are many different programs on the Internet. The most popular of these is "around 30 days at the bar". The main condition is to challenge yourself and exercise every day, increasing the time, no matter what. Such a plan is made for 30 days and looks like this:
|Day||Time in seconds||Day||Time in seconds|
This program helps the organization adapt to a new type of workload.
Plank for beginners to lose weight, table
The monthly program for beginners might look like this:
|Day||Time in seconds||Day||Time in seconds|
You can change the suggested program yourself by adding 5-10 seconds per day.
You can find many opinions and photos from the "Before and After Hours" series on the Internet. You shouldn’t believe them because a good result depends on a lot of work, which isn’t just about doing the bar.